Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Somebody pinch me!!
I want to be successful ? but I don’t want to break a sweat!! So!! how on Earth am I ever going to be successful?
it’s just a lot easier to deal with all of life’s struggles from the side of convenience. So this is me, In my living room, in my pajamas away from all the hustle and bustle.
it feels as if life unleashes a new batch of troubles every single day! It is natural human tendency to want to find a great way to manage all of life’s woes without breaking a sweat.
But that’s not how it works!!
Let’s talk about the comfort zone for a minute because I have been stuck in this limbo for a while!!
The comfort zone is where we feel safe, where we feel comfortable, it’s that place where you feel satisfied and comfortable, a place where you don’t feel any undue pressure.
- That environment that you are so used to
- The career that you have been in for a while
- That routine you follow
- That ideology that you uphold
Each of us has a comfort zone, it could be a place that is familiar to us or a behavioral pattern that is so familiar to us. The comfort zone comprises of the non-threathning and non-challenging activities.
They’re routine, a part of
your everyday life — the things you
can do with no sweat. Tasks you can perform without any physical or mental challenge.
unfortunately life isn’t an easy walkover and occasionally, you will be faced with experiences and challenges that will need you to break your routine, and get a little uncomfortable. beyond these it is believed that in order to achieve
your goals, realize your potential, and reach your peak, you must be willing to be uncomfortable, you need to be able to push yourself to do things that you’re afraid to do. it’s only in so doing that you would be able to reach your full potential.
Bardwick defines the comfort zone as “a behavioral state where a person operates in an anxiety-neutral position.”
Does that definition ring a bell for you? It does for me!
The thing about living in your comfort zone is that although it’s not actually a bad place to be, it’s easy to get complacent and not want to try new things, experience any frightening situation or engage in a new activity. This is dangerous because while you camp out in your “safe space,” the world around you is changing. And eventually, those outside forces can disrupt the “safety” that exists in your comfort zone.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
1. Hearing the word “NO”: it is very “human” to cringe at the thought of rejection, and no other word reeks of rejection or symbolizes rejection like the word “no”
Are you bummed up at the thought of your ideas being rejected, so you never come up with any ideas of your own? This is very common among millennials. The comfort zone presents itself in different ways and this is definitely one of them. Never give in to the urge to stay mute when you feel a need to speak up, all because you do not want to face the possibility of having your ideas or suggestions rejected. Rejection is bad, but what’s worse is not giving your creative mind the opportunity to express itself. If you never try, you’ll never know.
2. The fear of change: too scared of changing that job or starting your own business? I know the feeling first hand. The comfort zone will never let you make changes easily! Whether it’s a career change or a relationship change, there’s always the temptation to stay within the confines of what is known. To the person stuck in The comfort zone, the unknown always holds no prospects and feels like too much of a risk. We have a lot of unhappy workers who yearn for a more satisfying work environment… but the fear of change, cripples the mind and makes them afraid to do anything. Let’s call this the anti growth syndrome. Change is inevitable and In life, you’re either growing or dying. If you fear change, you may not be able to make much progress and record any growth. So long as you’re sitting within your comfort zone, too scared of change, you’re not going to grow, because growth requires you to step outside of your comfort zone.
3: Not trying new things: breaking routine can be a little difficult! We all have somehow developed behavioral patterns and daily routines that we follow religiously and whenever anything happens that requires us to break out of this routine, the natural tendency is to resist it. But then how can you live out your full potential if you never take a risk or try something different. In life we are going to have a lot of Hits and misses, trials and errors, For most of us, it is going to take time to finally get that thing that we need, whether it’s the right business strategy or the perfect adventure. As long as you’re willing to try new things and actively discover what you like and don’t like, you will eventually find the right path. However, if you’re within your comfort zone, you’ll rarely, if ever; try new things.
4: You’re settling!
If you continue to live within your comfort zone, You will settle for so many things. It’s really easy to get tired and just settle for whatever it is that life hands down to you or tries to shove down your throat. This is perhaps the worst fate of all. Because you go on to settle for so many things which doesn’t truly make you happy, simply because you are too afraid to take any chances.
Martin Luther King puts it perfectly
“You may be 38 years old, as I happen to be. And one day, some great opportunity stands before you and calls you to stand up for some great principle, some great issue, some great cause. And you refuse to do it because you are afraid….
Well, you may go on and live until you are 90, but you’re just as dead at 38 as you would be at 90. And the cessation of breathing in your life is but the belated announcement of an earlier death of the spirit.”
5: You just feel comfortable: life doesn’t necessarily have to be hard but every once in a while events occur that would require you to get your hands a little dirty. If you seem to be living a very convenient routine life, then it might suffice to say that you’re stuck in the comfort zone and would do well to engage in activities that challenge the status quo.
Breaking out of your comfort zone
Nothing good comes easy, but with determination and consistency nothing is impossible! You can break out of your comfort zone if you are riled up enough to make it happen
Firstly!!!! you need to start taking baby steps!
Admit that you are stuck in your comfort zone just like I have, and start making little efforts each day to break out of it.
Gradually, you would start to gain the energy and confidence necessary to take bigger steps.
Secondly!! Practice becoming comfortable with being uncomfortable!!
It can be built up like a muscle – the more you do it, the easier it becomes !!
Keep taking small steps and, with time, it will become a habit.
Life Begins at the End of Your Comfort Zone Quotes
- Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
- You never change your life until you step out of your comfort zone. Roy T Bennett
- Life will only change when you become more committed to your dreams than you are to your comfort zone. Billy Cox
- Move out of your comfort zone. You can only grow if you are willing to feel awkward and uncomfortable when you try something new.
- To move to a new level in life, you must break through your comfort zone and do things that are not comfortable. Brian Tracy
- It’s only after you have stepped outside your comfort zone that you begin to grow, change and transform.
- All progress takes place outside the comfort zone. Michael John Bobak
- We cannot become what we need to be by remaining where we are.
- Real change is difficult at the beginning but gorgeous at the end. Change begins the moment you get the courage to step outside your comfort zone. Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
- When was the last time you did something for the first time?
- Great things never come from comfort zones.
- A step outside your comfort zone is a step into your miracle zone. Christie B Gardner
- Comfort is your biggest trap and coming out of your comfort zone your biggest challenge. Manoj Arora
- A comfort zone is a beautiful place but nothing ever grows there.
- By leaving your comfort zone behind and taking a leap of faith into something new, you find out who you are truly capable of becoming.
- You will never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine. John Maxwell
- Change begins at the end of your comfort zone.
- Do one thing everyday that scares you. Eleanor Roosevelt
- Sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone to build your understanding of who you are and where you’re going.
- You don’t grow when you are comfortable.
- Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try. John F. Kennedy
- Before anything great is achieved your comfort zone must be disturbed. Ray Lewis
- You have to learn to be comfortable being uncomfortable.
- Success starts when you leave your comfort zone.
- The walls of your comfort zone are lovingly decorated with your lifelong collection of favorite excuses. Jen Sincero
- Scared? Good. We don’t grow when we stay inside our comfort zone.
- Your comfort zone isn’t going to help you get to where you want to be. Therapy session things
- If you’re too comfortable it’s time to move on. Terrified of what’s next, you’re on the right track.
- The temptation to quit will be the greatest just when you’re about to succeed.
- If we are growing, we are always going to be out of our comfort zone. John Maxwell
- If it doesn’t challenge you, it won’t change you.
- Never be afraid to try something new, because life gets boring when you stay within the limits of what you already know.
- Stepping out of your comfort zone and trying new things is the best way to grow.
- Life always begins with one step outside your comfort zone. Shannon L Alder
- Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid, do not be discouraged for the lord your God will be with you wherever you go. John 1:9
- Be fearless have the courage to take risks. Go where there are no guarantees, get out of your comfort zone even if it means being uncomfortable. The road less travelled is sometimes fraught with barricades bumps and uncharted terrain. But it is on that road where your character is really tested. And have the courage to accept that you’re not perfect, nothing is, and no one is, and that’s Ok. Kate Courie
- Your world will expand for every step you dare to take outside your comfort zone. Maria Irving
- Everything you have ever wanted is one step outside your comfort zone.
- A ship is always safe at shore, but that’s not what it is built for. Albert Einstein
- Whenever we do something outside our comfort zone, good things are bound to happen. Ashley Hetherington
- Behold the turtle. He only makes progress when he sticks his neck out.
- Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.
- Each time you try something new for the first time, you will grow. A little piece of the fear of the unknown is removed and replaced with a sense of empowerment. Annette White
- If you want something you’ve never had, then you have got to do something you have never done.
- Great people do things before they are ready. Amy Poehler
- In the end, we regret chances we didn’t take and moves we didn’t make.
- I always did something I was a little not ready to do. I think that is how you grow. Marissa Mayer
- You’re never going to be 100% ready and it’s never going to be just the right time, but that’s the point. It means that every moment is also the right moment. If you want it, you just have to do it.
- When it feels scary to jump, that’s exactly when you jump, otherwise you end up staying in the same place your entire life.
- Three simple rules in life. 1. If you do not go after what you want, you will never have it. 2. If you do not ask, the answer will always be ‘no’. 3. If you do not step forward, you will always be in the same place.
At the end of the day the simple truth remains that, life begins at the end of your comfort zone. I hope these quotes will inspire you and give you the needed push to step out in faith and courage to pursue your dreams.
What are your thoughts? please share in the comments.
Although our comfort zones are nice and safe, we need to reach outside them if we want to continually improve ourselves. Comfort zones are like a vacation home, you can go there every so often, but you can’t live there all year round.
I totally think I’m stuck too much in my comfort zone and I have people telling me to break out and do something else. Once I’m that comfortable place I don’t want to leave it and its something I’m learning at the moment. These tips have comes at the right time. Thank you. xx
It is exactly what I feel, I sell and I believe it is happening to me … and I don’t want to!
The comfort zone is where most of us like to be. The only problem is that things don’t work out the way we want as we relax without taking any steps in life. It is the high time that I left my comfort zone and started working for a better future. Thank you Christiana for reminding me.
I always try to get out of my comfort zone now and again. I don’t do it often, because I’m an introvert and prefer to be in a comfort zone, but I know it’s healthy to step out of it. Once in a while.
I love staying in my comfort zone! But I also know there is very little growth in that comfort zone. I am getting better at climbing out of it more and more. And I’m realizing it isn’t nearly as painful as I thought it would be!
Change is so good and getting out of our comfort zone has so many benefits! I love how much we grow every time we step just outside of our comfort zone.
I’ve always thought I was crazy. Whenever things seem to be going well I feel very uncomfortable. It’s not until life’s chaotic and throwing me curveball after curveball that I feel like I’m accomplishing something.
Alvern @ Success Unscrambled
Every month I remind myself that the only thing that is constant is change. Once I know this tend I almost expect change to pop-up in front of me and how I react to this change will help me overcome that fear of getting out of my comfort zone.
I am trying to break out of my comfort zone, too. At least in writing. I want to be able to turn out more articles for my blog.
it is always nice to feel secure but still such a good thing to explore and learn more about other things and yourself. changing up habits can help a lot!
Comfort zones seem so cozy and safe until we move away from them the we see how much they restrict life goals etc.
I agree with the signs you have mentioned here. Many of us are afraid of hearing the word No, so we settle instead.
I found Bardwick defines the comfort zone as “a behavioral state where a person operates in an anxiety-neutral position.” very interesting… never really thought about that way.
I know I haven’t been stuck in the comfort zone, pretty much EVER! Sometimes I wish I were in the comfort zone for a certain amount of time just to feel a little more at peace.
No one likes to leave their comfort zone. Not all of us can deal with change or uncertainty. It’s something we all must come to terms with at one point or another.
I’m on a journey to change a bunch of habits I have, but it can be overwhelming. I love what you shared about baby steps! Small steps lead to large victories!