A few days ago about i was caught up in a conversation which inspired this post.
It was a little chit-chat with a friend about my development goals for February. While we were talking, he paused and thought for a while then he asked, “Why are you so passionate about personal development”?
For a few minutes I looked at him in disbelief, then I started by reciting my favourite personal development quote, and then I went further to explain what personal development means.
A lot of people are like my friend, the topic of personal development and self-improvement still sounds like gibberish
Again, I don’t judge because that was me a few years ago.
For starters, We all want to become the best version of ourselves don’t we?
This can only be achieved when we intentionally invest time resources and effort into the various areas of or lives where we wish to see improvement.
I didn’t care much for personal development, I used to think growth and improvement was an automatic process until I read the 11 invaluable laws of growth by john Maxwell.
That book hit me in so many ways, the most important lesson I learned is that growth must be intentional and you need to plan for it the same way you plan for your expenditures, otherwise you would remain stuck and stagnant in various areas of your life.
what is a personal development plan and why is it important?
It is a lifelong process of improving your skills and the quality of your life. It involves setting goals and making plans that can help you realize your goals and reach your full potentials.
It consists of activities that make you a better person. Some of these activities include reading, exercising, goal setting, organization, planning, journaling and the likes. All of the activities which I have mention have the capacity to make you become the best version of yourself. They can help you brush up your skills and develop the right habits.
Why is personal development important ?
Personal development is all about growing into your best self physically, emotionally, mentally and socially. We all have the capacity to be better than we are, and to achieve this we must adopt the right habits and our skills must be sharpened and enhanced.
The most important reason why a lot of people take up a personal development plan is basically because it improves your chances of achieving your dreams and aspirations the process is usually filled with an enhanced quality of life.
People who are disciplined and consistent stand a greater chance in achieving their goals and objectives.
There are various areas of life most people seek to improve on but the major areas are physically, mentally emotionally, spiritually and socially. These are the major categories of personal development
5 major areas of personal development
This would include all the activities that makes a person become their best self physically this would include right eating and sleeping habits, doing your regular workouts. It involves developing and creating habits that would help you become your best physical self.
Your mind is an integral part of your being as a matter of fact it’s the engine house of the body so it needs to be taken care of and properly nurtured. You have a responsibility to grow your mind there a number of mental personal development activities that would help you achieve this goal. Some of these activities include reading, taking courses, listening to podcasts, watching informational and educational materials, these simple activities go a long way in improving the quality of your thoughts pattern and your mindset.
The whole subject of emotional intelligence revolves around controling and mastering your emotions.
Leaning to take charge of your feelings, your moods by talking journaling or reading.
This area touches on improving how you interact and communicate with others. Enhance your public speaking, listening and conversational skills.
Spiritual Personal development is all about feeding and nurturing your spirit. As a Christian this can be done through reading the bible, spending time in study. Prayers and meditation.
1.How to get started on your personal development journey
2. Start by identifying the areas of your life where you desire to see growth and improvement.
3. Focus on one area at a time.
4. Create a simple plan on the things you need to do daiy, weekly or monthly in other to achieve this goal.
5. Get a mentor or a role model who can help chart the course for you.
6. Find follow and join a community of like minds.
7.Set realistic, time bound achievable goals.
Personal development quotes for work
1. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.
2. Don’t wish it were easier, wish you were better
3. Developing a good work ethic is key. Apply yourself at whatever you do, whether you’re a janitor or taking your first summer job because that work ethic will be reflected in everything you do in life.”
4.“Just one small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day.”
5. “Success means doing the best we can with what we have. Success is the doing, not the getting; in the trying, not the triumph. Success is a personal standard, reaching for the highest that is in us, becoming all that we can be.”
6.“Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value.”
7.“If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six hours sharpening my ax.”
8. “Luck is a matter of preparation meeting opportunity.”
9. “I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions.”
10. “Plenty of men can do good work for a spurt and with immediate promotion in mind, but for promotion you want a man in whom good work has become a habit.”
Henry L. Doherty
11. “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” – Thomas Edison
12. “The Best Investment You Can Make Is In Yourself.” – Warren Buffet
13. “People Don’t Grow By Accident, They Grow By Design. Design Yourself. Design Your Future. Success Never Just Happens.” -Anonymous
14. “Do, Or Do Not. There Is No Try.” – Yoda
15. “Income Seldom Exceeds Personal Development.” – Jim Rohn
16. “We Are What We Repeatedly Do. Excellence, Then, Is Not An Act But A Habit.” – Will Durant
17. “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose.”
— Dr. Seuss
18. “Don’t say you don’t have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.”
— H. Jackson Brown Jr.
19. Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve. Thoughts are things! And powerful things at that, when mixed with definiteness of purpose, and burning desire, can be translated into riches.”
— Napoleon Hill
20. “Even if you are on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
— Will Rogers
Personal development quotes for life
1. “Recognizing that you are not where you want to be is a starting point to begin changing your life.” – Deborah Day
2. “As The Physically Weak Man Can Make Himself Strong By Careful And Patient Training, So The Man Of Weak Thoughts Can Make Them Strong By Exercising Himself In Right Thinking.” – James Allen
3. “Be patient with yourself. Self-growth is tender; it’s holy ground. There’s no greater investment.” – Stephen Covey
4. “You Are Never Too Old To Set Another Goal Or To Dream A New Dream.” – Les Brown
5. . “Personal Development Is A Major Time-Saver. The Better You Become, The Less Time It Takes You To Achieve Your Goals.” -Brian Tracy
6. “There Is Nothing Noble In Being Superior To Your Fellow Man; True Nobility Is Being Superior To Your Former Self.” – Ernest Hemingway
7. “Twenty Years From Now You Will Be More Disappointed By The Things That You Didn’t Do Than By The Ones You Did Do. So Throw Off The Bowlines. Sail Away From The Safe Harbor. Catch The Trade Winds In Your Sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
8. “Change is inevitable but personal growth is a choice.” Bob Proctor
9. . “Growth can be painful, change can be painful but nothing is as painful as staying stuck somewhere you don’t belong.” Charles H. Spurgeon
10. . “Don’t wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don’t wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don’t wish for less challenge, wish for more wisdom.” Jim Rohn
11. “Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune.” Jim Rohn
12. “We must all wage an intense, lifelong battle against the constant downward pull. If we relax, the bugs and weeds of negativity will move into the garden and take away everything of value. –Jim Rohn
13. . “Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.” –Jim Rohn
14. “People tend to think that happiness is a stroke of luck, something that will descend like fine weather if you’re fortunate. But happiness is the result of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly.”
— Elizabeth Gilbert
15. “Fortunate is the person who has developed the self-control to steer a straight course towards his objectives in life, without being swayed from his purpose by either commendation or condemnation.”
— Napoleon Hill
16. . “Let others lead small lives, but not you. Let others argue over small things, but not you. Let others cry over small hurts, but not you. Let others leave their future in someone else’s hands, but not you.” — Jim Rohn
17. “Everybody wants to be somebody; nobody wants to grow.”
— Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
18. “Take advantage of every opportunity to practice your communication skills so that when important occasions arise, you will have the gift, the style, the sharpness, the clarity, and the emotions to affect other people.”– Jim Rohn
19. . “Personal growth is not a matter of learning new information but unlearning old limits.” Alan Cohen
20. “You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change the circumstances, the seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself. That is something you have charge of.” — Jim Rohn
Personal development quotes for family.
1. “Spread love. Hug the people you care about and make sure they know that you care and appreciate them. Make it known to your friends and family that you love them.” ― Germany Kent
2. . “Family is not an important thing. It’s everything.” – Michael J. Fox
3. . “What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family.” – Mother Teresa
4. “Family life contributes immensely to an individual’s happiness. Only in a happy home life can complete contentment be found.” – Dorothea S. Koppliln
5. “Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family.” —Anthony Brandt
6. “Life is a secret lease from God and we should not allow ourselves to be bruised. Family life is our strength and success.” – Joseph Losery
7. “The strength of a family, like the strength of an army, is in its loyalty to each other.” – Mario Puzo
8. It’s not what we have in life, but who we have in our life that matters. — J.M Lawrence
9. Give the ones you love wings to fly, roots to come back and reasons to stay.
10. Love your family, spend time be kind,and serve one another. Make no room for regrets, tomorrow is not promised and today is short.
11. Family time is not a matter of convenience, it’s a matter of priority.
12. Give your family your best not your leftovers. Love them more than you love your career, money or hobbies. That other stuff can’t love you back.
13. If you want to change the world, go home and love your family.
14. Your family is the best team you could ever have.
15. The best thing a person can give to his family, is his time.
16. A family doesn’t need to be perfect, it just needs to be united.
17. Life is a balance of holding and letting go.
18. Cutting people out of my life doesn’t mean I hate them, it means I respect myself.
19. Family, like branches on a tree, we all grow in different directions yet our roots remain as one.
20. The best growth and the most important lessons are learnt within the four walls of a home.